Thursday, April 19, 2007

Sam Harris: King of Unfounded Conclusions

After searching through the blogs tonight looking for someone who had read or written on the Sam Harris article, I was thrilled to see that Sarah had found the article as preposterous and offensive as I did. While I did not address this in my own post on the Harris article, I certainly felt some of the same shock and distress Sarah portrays in her post about Harris' views on the Islamic religion.

I agree with Sarah, it is possible to prove anything that has any grain of truth to it if you take a view general facts and make a bunch of unsupported claims. I did not find any sort of usefulness in many of the examples that Harris threw into his argument. It was as if he took a bunch of random facts that had something to do with violence in the Islam religion and said "here, read this and believe that I am right".

Thank you Sarah, for recognizing that Harris completely ignores the parallel between Islam and Christianity and their subsequent advancements which you dub the terrible twos. This I did touch on in my blog post and would like to argue further for it makes me just as annoyed and disappointed as it seems to have made you.

No comments: