Thursday, May 10, 2007

Learn to be still

I think personal meditation is an important part not only of religion but of everyday life. Sometimes we get so worked up over all that we have to do and the responsibilities and stress we put on ourselves that we don't take anytime to just sit and relax and think. Its important to take time for yourself to think about your day, reflect on what you have done and learned, and just wind down. My mother always used to, and still sometimes does, tell me to "learn to be still", like that old Eagles song. Learn to be still and let your brain take a rest. Do you ever notice that the best ideas come to you late at night when you wake up to go to the bathroom or get a drink of water? Or sometimes a solution will just come to you during the day when you aren't even thinking about the problem at hand? Your brain needs time to shut off and "meditate" so to speak in order to let everything settle. We take in so much stimulus and thought, emotion and expression that its no wonder so many people today have mental and emotional issues. We don't give ourselves a break. Meditation is important, no matter what form you take it in. I like to listen to music, I like to go running. It helps me clear my head. I think of it as my meditation time. I also like to write in a journal. Even if I don't write anything important or particularly profound, its like a way to rid my head of all these thoughts that might not be productive or to clarify thoughts that might be necessary to solve a problem or reach a conclusion or arrive at a decision. I look forward to this time in my day. It gives me a chance to unwind and collect my thoughts. It also really helps with falling asleep at night to write in a journal or read for pleasure before turning off the light. In fact, I'm going to go write right now and spend some time being still.

No comments: